Chatworth's history begins with Elizabeth Talbot, Countess of Shrewsbury, better known as Bess of Hardwick. Bess' second husband, Sir William Cavendish was to prosper greatly from Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries. She persuaded him to buy Chatsworth manor, and work began on the house in 1549. After Sir William's death, Bess married George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, who would be charged as custodian over Mary, Queen of Scots, who was held numerous times at Chatsworth, between 1569 and 1584.
A line of seven William Cavendish's, was to follow Bess' heir and favorite son William, from 1551 to 1764. Chatsworth had falling into disrepair in the 1680s, but William, the 4th Duke of Devonshire was to reshape the land with the help of Lancelot (Capability) Brown. From then until now, the Cavendish family continued in lavishing much attention on the house, building a great library and collections of art.
Recording at Chatworth wasn't easy because we had no option but to visit during public opening times; it required much loitering in rooms until we were free of audible guest's voices. Many potential EVP were disgarded due to uncertainty of their origin, but we are fairly confident those that remain, are genuine. A great many more voices were captured in the gardens than in the house, which for us is unusual.